Monday, April 13, 2015

Baking a Cake for Mom's Birthday

First, happy birthday to my wonderful Mom. Yesterday we celebrated her. The sun was shinning brightly for the first time this year on her birthday, so we hung on the deck with margarita's and guacamole.
My mom is an amazing cook/baker so she is usually the one in the kitchen, but on her birthday she gets to take a break.  

I made her cake... from scratch! This was my first time ever doing that. I don't love to be in the kitchen, but I don't hate it either. I would rather bake than cook. And if I am being honest, I had fun making her birthday cake.

The cake was very pretty and it was yummy too. The icing was my favorite.
I searched the internet for a Lemon Cake (made without a cake mix and/or pudding).

This is what I found on recipes.com:

Nathan's Lemon Cake 
Ingredients:
CAKE:
Cooking spray
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
2 Cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup granulates sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 Cup nonfat buttermilk
2 Tablespoons finely grated lemon rind
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
ICING:
3 Cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tablespoon lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice
Lemon rind strips (optional)
PREPARATION:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray. Dust pans with 2 tablespoons flour, and set aside.
3. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with knife. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, string with a whisk.
4. Place granulates sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs. one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in 2  tablespoons lemon rind and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
5. Pour batter into prepared pans, sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 fro 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack; remove wax paper from cake layers.
6. To prepare the icing combine powdered sugar and the remaining ingredients (except lemon rind strings) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on plate; spread half of icing on top of cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining half of icing over top of cake. Garnish with lemon rind strips, if desired. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.
I followed this recipe to a T. Since I was new to this I wanted to do it right. The recipe was great. I did not have 8" cake pans so I used 9" and baked the cake for 27 minutes instead. I wish I had 8" pans because I think the cake would have looked better but I am happy with how it turned out and I will make it again.

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS