Sunday, June 21, 2015

Dad's Day and Ducks

We celebrated Father's Day at our favorite place on earth
camp! Saturday the sun was shinning so we enjoyed the sun, swam and did some chores around camp. Saturday night we enjoyed dinner (Rob's choice) and he opened his presents.
We also had a very interesting stand off with our little duck family that we have adopted. Saturday morning our ducks came for a visit. I was sitting on the edge of the dock and the ducks came very close so I decided I would run into the house and grab my camera. While my getting up was very upsetting to mama duck and she jumped up on the deck and quacked at us while the babies ran up on dry land. After the stare down with mama duck and me jumping up on top of the chaise because I was afraid she was going to attack, mama and the babies made themselves at home on our dock and took a little nap on it, all while we were sitting on it.
A little later in the day, mama and babies were back but now they were distressed as a bigger duck was after them. He (we assume the duck was a he because he was big) was after the babies. Mama did a good job of giving this intruder the evil eye that I had received earlier but she was having a hard time keeping him away from all the babies. After watching him attack one of the babies, we stepped in. We got our water shooters and squirted the big duck away, meanwhile the duck family made themselves at home on the dock again. I think they felt safer on the dock. The big duck tried to come back but we continued to squirt him and may have even threw a couple rocks at him. He finally left.
We all woke up very worried about our ducks this morning, but I am happy to report that we saw mama and all four babies this afternoon. I think they have officially made themselves at home with us.
We never intended to adopt or even feed the ducks. We love them on our lake but we like them from afar. We have been feeding this family though. They are just so cute and we felt bad after one of the babies disappeared. One of the babies has a lame foot and is much smaller than the others. We went from not feeding the ducks to going out this week to buy duck food for our little family (just until they are grown).
Sunday started out as a rainy day so we all went to see Inside Out. The movie was so cute and we all loved it, well, Trevor did not think much of the movie. I can't wait to see it again.
The weekend was great. I think my kids have the greatest dad ever and I am very lucky to be able to raise our boys with him by my side!

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS